Friday 22 August 2014

What to eat in Shkodra / Shkoder Albania


Sunset from the Lake of Shodra
I did a short video showing some beautiful clips of Shkodra which I will link in this page.  Soon after a viewer told me: I am going there, what and where should I eat?

The cuisine in Albanian homes has a Turkish origin. There are many tasty dishes that combine vegetables, protein and carbohydrates in one single dish. The down side, they are very time consuming to cook, so not many restaurants present the type of traditional menus that Albanians eat at home.
So, back to the questions:

What to eat?


Buke e Qebap (Bread and Qebap):  Qebap is a sort of meatball that is given cilyndric shape and grilled. Its very tasty and flavored. A must try every time I go back to Shkodra. You can find them in shops called "Qebaptore". I know there is one in the "Parruca" square, very close to the bakery! You can also ask for them in restaurants, many of them may offer this choice.

Byrek: Byrek is a type of salted pastry which is cheap and tasty. In my opinion, the best Byrek is sold in the so known as the "Ali Juka" shop. It is a very small pastry shop almost attached to another pastry shop so you cannot miss it. This shop too is located in the Parruca square. You need to ask the locals, they will show you. You will have the choice of the filling me djath (cheesy) or me mish (meat). I personally love the meat one (To be precise it contains onion and meat).

Akukllore me Boze (Icecream with Boze): In any pastry shop you can ask for "Akullore me Boze". Boze its a very refreshing drink made from cereal flour. It is not that sweet, thus, they olace one or two scoops of ice-cream inside. I remember drinking a good one in "Embeltore Rinia" It is located near the council as you leave Parruca and start walking towards the Pjaca square! As usual, locals know.

Pilaf: Pilaf is a very cheap plate. It is a rice prepared with meat broth and it is used as a breakfast dish. Do not be shy to ask for it at lunch time! Many restaurants offer it.

A Tave Dheu Dish
Njale ne tjegull (Eel):  Shkodra is the best lace where to eat Eel because they are fresh from the lake. Ells have a stange shape and that may put you off from trying but it is a very very very tasty dish. If you like salmon, you will like eel as they are both quite fatty fishes. They cook in in alumin foil on  a  particular plate (called tjegull). This is mostly offered in restaurants near the lake.

Tave dheu: This dish is a kind of beef stew cooked in a sauce with tomato sauce ans a particular cheese. My Italian husband likes this one a lot!

Other Traditional dishes: My favorite traditional dishes are Speca te mbushur (filled peppers), a dish made with rice, minced beef, onions and peppers; Tave Kosi (stew with yogurt), a stewed and then baked dish made with lamb meat, plain white yogurt and eggs; and, Japrak, this is a very particular dish made with rice, minced beef and grape leaves, quite particular, but if done well is very very tasty. Summer is the best time to eat Japrak because the leaves are fresh.
 

Where to eat?


Restaurant Cocja Shkoder: It has been a while since last I eat there, but they used to have nice traditional dishes on top of more classical choices such as pizza. This is located near the orthodox church right behind the piazza square.

Cofte and Shish Qebap

Restaurants in Shiroka: Shiroka is a bit to far if you have to walk there. It is the area where the lake is and it is full of restaurants. They all cook pretty well. Fish can be very tasty in there because they cook it fresh. They offer also many traditional meat plates such as shish qebap (skewers) or qofte (meat balls).

I will update with more places as they come into my mind..



Have a great time! Let me know if you went there how it was and where you are well! Here is the video I mentioned in the beginning of the article! I would love for you to watch it! 



With love,
Sara








No comments:

Post a Comment